Should I Hire a Lawyer After a Minor Car Accident in Friendswood, TX?

Should I Hire a Lawyer After a Minor Car Accident in Friendswood, TX?

Have you been involved in a minor car accident in Friendswood, TX, and are unsure if you need to hire a lawyer?

Minor collisions happen on the road and in parking lots all the time. Often, these minor car accidents involve minimal vehicle damage and no injuries. 

Examples include accidents such as when you’re sitting at a red light, and the driver behind you is distracted and hits your vehicle before coming to a full stop. Or, when you are picking someone up from the airport and another car hits your mirror when they pull into the spot in front of you. 

Usually, instances like these do not involve thousands of dollars in damage or injuries, so you may not think you need to tell your insurance company or the police about them. 

This article explains everything you need to know about being involved in a minor car accident, including whether you should hire a Friendswood personal injury attorney. 

Things to Keep in Mind After a Minor Car Accident 

If you were in a minor car accident, there are a number of things that you need to take into consideration. You may decide to consult an attorney simply to protect yourself and your rights in the event that any of these factors apply to your situation.

You May Not Find All Damage or Injuries Immediately

Right after a minor car accident, you may think that you, your passengers, and your car are all safe from damage or injuries. However, that is not always the case. 

After a quick scan of your car, you may think everything looks okay. Later, you might find out that there was damage you did not see. That’s why it is important to take pictures and file a police report. 

Your memory of the minor collision will not be perfect, so you should not rely on it if you have to file a claim with your insurance company for damage or injuries found after the fact. 

The Other Driver May Decide to Sue or Report the Accident 

While it may not seem like a big deal if both drivers and passengers walk away from the event unscathed, that doesn’t mean there will not be consequences later. If you and the other driver both agree not to report the incident to your insurance companies, the other driver may not keep that promise. 

Reporting these minor accidents can help you in the event that the other driver decides to sue you. Many insurance companies in Texas have coverage for instances like that, and it’s helpful to have proper documentation of the incident. 

Should You Contact the Police After a Minor Collision in Friendswood, Texas?

Depending on the extent of damages resulting from a car accident, you may not be legally required to contact the police. In Texas, the law states that you have to report a car accident to the police if it results in serious injuries, death, or property damage over $1,000. 

Just because your minor crash does not meet those requirements doesn’t mean you should not call the police or consult a lawyer. 

Should You Hire a Friendswood Car Accident Lawyer After a Minor Crash?

If you suffer from any injury or have any damage to your vehicle after a minor car accident, you should speak to an attorney. It has been shown that people who hire attorneys after car accidents receive significantly more in settlements than those who represent themselves. 

Even if you are unsure if you need legal representation, you should reach out to an experienced car accident lawyer in Friendswood, Texas to find out. 

Contact the Texas Car Accident Lawyers of The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Personal Injury Lawyers for Help Today

Please contact an experienced car accident lawyer at The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Personal Injury Lawyers to get a free initial consultation today. We have offices in Friendswood and Galveston, Texas.

The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Personal Injury Lawyers
312 S. Friendswood Dr.
Friendswood, TX 77546