Friendswood Car Accident Lawyer
Were you recently injured in a car accident in Friendswood, TX? An experienced Friendswood car accident lawyer at The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Personal Injury Lawyers can help you fight for fair compensation. You may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and your pain and suffering–but it isn’t always easy to get the money you deserve.
Our attorneys have over 58 years of combined experience in personal injury law. We’ve used that experience to recover some of the top settlements and verdicts in the state of Texas.
How The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Car Accident in Friendswood, TX
At The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Personal Injury Lawyers, we’ve dedicated our entire practice to helping crash victims like you. Over the years, we’ve been listed nine times among the Top 100 Super Lawyers in Texas. Our founding attorney was admitted into the National Board of Trial Advocacy and the International Academy of Trial Lawyers.
When our top-rated Friendswood personal injury attorneys build your case, here’s what you can expect:
- A thorough investigation into the circumstances of the accident
- Strong evidence to prove who and what caused your accident
- Consultations with leading experts and specialists in various fields
- A strong defense if the insurance company blames you for your injuries
- Detailed proof about the types of damages you have suffered–and their financial value
- Aggressive negotiations with the insurance companies and defense teams
- Strong representation in court if trial becomes necessary to get a fair deal
The cost of an injury can be shocking. You shouldn’t miss out on quality legal advice because you can’t afford an attorney. Our lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, so you don’t have to worry about the cost. Just give us a quick call today.
Friendswood Car Accident Statistics
According to the Texas Department of Transportation, over 425,000 motor vehicle accidents were reported statewide in 2021. 2,223 of those traffic accidents were fatal, and 11,994 serious injuries were reported. 62,890 crash victims were fortunate enough to walk away with only minor injuries.
Car accidents also happen every day in the city of Friendswood. 452 auto accidents were reported in Friendswood alone.
You’re not alone if you were injured in a car wreck. Get the legal representation you deserve by calling our legal team to schedule a free case evaluation today.
What’s My Car Accident Case Worth?
That depends on the severity of your injuries and the circumstances of the accident. Research by the National Safety Council shows that the average cost of car accident injuries can vary dramatically.
In 2021, the average ranged from $221,000 for victims who suffered obvious injuries to $1,016,000 for victims who suffered disabling injuries.
Your specific case value will depend on the unique facts of your case, such as:
- The severity of your injuries
- Your current medical expenses
- Your prognosis and anticipated need for future medical treatment
- Whether you can continue working while you recover
- How your future earnings will be impacted by the injury
- Your past earnings history
- Your trauma and suffering
- How your quality of life will be impacted by the injury
You’ll probably start by filing a claim with insurance. Insurance companies will focus on different factors as they try to downplay the costs of your injuries.
The value of your personal injury case can also be impacted by:
- Whether you share any blame for the accident
- Whether you had preexisting injuries that were made worse in the crash
- Whether you took reasonable steps to mitigate damages and prevent further harm
When the insurance company starts to push back against your injury claim, it’s important to have an experienced attorney by your side.
At The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Personal Injury Lawyers, we’ve handled cases like yours before. We’ll make sure your case is accurately valued–and we’ll back our insurance demand up with strong evidence so that the insurance companies are forced to take your claim seriously.
Who Is Liable in Car Wreck?
Texas is considered an “at-fault” state for car accidents. That means that you can pursue a legal claim directly against the party who is responsible for your crash.
In most car accident cases, that means filing a claim against the at-fault driver’s insurance policy. However, there are other types of accidents where another party might be liable instead.
For instance, if your car wreck was caused by a defective part or machinery, you may be able to file a product liability claim and hold the manufacturer, distributor, or retailer responsible.
Alternatively, if your crash was caused by poor roadway conditions, you might have the option to file a lawsuit against the applicable government entity.
The bottom line is that Texas personal injury law allows accident victims to recover compensation from just about any person or entity who is responsible for their car crashes. Learn more about your legal rights and options by contacting us for a free consultation today.
We Handle All Types of Car Accident Cases
Our team at The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Personal Injury Lawyers handles all types of car accident claims, including those involving:
- Rear-end collisions
- Head-on crashes
- Multi-vehicle collisions
- Trucking accidents
- Accidents involving uninsured/underinsured motorists
- T-bone accidents
- Sideswipe collisions
- Highway accidents
- Accidents at intersections
- Single-vehicle crashes
- DUI accidents
- Hit-and-run accidents
- And more
There are countless ways an accident can happen. If someone else was to blame, our lawyers are here to help you prove it. We’ll interview witnesses, locate available video surveillance footage, and search the scene for hard evidence to prove your case. Just give us a quick call to learn more about your legal options today.
What Types of Damages Can I Recover After Car Accident?
Three types of damages are available under Texas personal injury law: economic, non-economic, and punitive damages.
Economic damages are awarded to reimburse accident victims for the financial expenses of an accident and injury. Both past expenses and estimated future costs should be included in your settlement.
Examples of these damages include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost income during recovery
- Lost future earning capacity
- Physical therapy and rehab
- Occupational therapy
- Nursing care and assistance with daily activities
- Property damage to your vehicle and belongings
Non-economic damages represent the non-monetary losses that victims of serious accidents and injuries suffer, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- PTSD and fear
- Diminished quality of life
- Physical disfigurement and scarring
- Loss of consortium
Punitive damages are rare in Texas. They’re only available in situations where the defendant acted with gross negligence or committed an intentional act. For example, victims in DUI accidents may be entitled to seek punitive damages from the drunk driver.
Can I Recover Damages If I’m Being Blamed for a Car Crash?
Possibly. Under the Texas modified comparative negligence law, you can only lose your right to compensation if the insurance company can prove you were mostly responsible for the accident. If your percentage of fault exceeds 50%, you cannot seek compensation for your injuries.
If you were partly to blame but not mostly to blame, you can recover partial compensation.
Insurance adjusters will probably try to shift at least some of the blame to you. If they succeed, you could walk away with less money than you need. Our lawyers will help defend against any allegations that you share blame. Just call our team for a free case review to learn more.
How Much Does It Cost To Hire a Car Accident Lawyer?
Our attorneys work for a contingency fee as opposed to charging a flat rate or hourly fee. You can hire our lawyers with zero upfront costs, and we only charge attorney’s fees if we get compensation for you.
The way it works is that we’ll agree to a contingency fee arrangement for your case when you initially hire us. In most cases, it will be around 33%. At the conclusion of your case, if we secure a settlement or financial award for you, we will receive the agreed-upon percentage of that compensation as payment for our legal services.
The contingency fee system is meant to benefit each of us. We’ll be incentivized to get full compensation for you; the more money you recover, the more money we obtain as well. In addition, you can hire us even if the accident has left you in a troubling financial situation.
Common Car Accident Injuries
Any injury can be overwhelming. Our lawyers in Friendswood are prepared to put more than five decades of combined experience to work for you. We handle all types of car accident claims, so don’t hesitate to reach out for legal advice if you were injured in an accident.
Common examples of car accident injuries include:
- Broken bones
- Facial injuries
- Cuts and lacerations
- Nerve injuries
- Severe bruising
- Soft tissue damage
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Organ damage
- Burn injuries
- Catastrophic injuries
The most serious car wrecks can be fatal. If you lost a loved one in a fatal crash, our attorneys are here to fight for you.
The Most Common Causes of Car Accidents
Some of the most common causes of car crashes in Friendswood include:
- Distracted driving
- Failure to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians, bicyclists, and other motorists
- Fatigued driving
- Weaving between lanes
- Other aggressive driving behaviors
- Unsafe lane changes
- Illegal or unsafe turns
- Racing through a red light or stop sign
- Drunk driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs
- Vehicle defects
- Unsafe road conditions
Most of the time, auto accidents happen because someone was negligent. Negligence means that the at-fault party failed to exercise reasonable caution under the circumstances.
Our car accident attorneys can investigate and help you gather evidence. We’ll use that evidence to establish the causal link between the at-fault driver’s mistake and your accident and injuries.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Car Accident in Texas?
Texas personal injury laws give car accident victims two years to file a personal injury lawsuit. Once the statute of limitations expires, you lose your right to seek compensation.
Exceptions to the rule are rare. It’s always a good idea to seek legal help quickly if you were hurt.
What Is Negligence and How Do I Prove It?
Negligence is the cause of action most car accident cases are based on. It means something like “carelessness.” To prove negligence liability, you must bring evidence in support of the following legal elements:
- Duty of Care – Motorists owe a duty of care to others on the road in terms of obeying traffic laws and driving safely.
- Breach of Duty – You must demonstrate that the at-fault party violated their duty of care to you. For instance, running through a stop sign likely signifies a breach of duty.
- Causation – This element entails proving that the at-fault driver caused the accident. Two types of causation are required for negligence claims, factual and proximate.
- Damages – You must have suffered damages as a result of the opposing party’s acts or omissions. Normally, this means economic losses or physical injury.
If you can establish each of these elements “by a preponderance of the evidence,” you’ll be in a good position to get compensation for your injuries. Types of evidence you can bring include:
- Medical records
- Expert analysis and testimony
- Eyewitness testimony
- Photos and video footage
Proving negligence is rarely easy, but our attorneys are up to the task. We can handle your negligence claim from start to finish while you heal from the accident. Call today to begin the process.
Steps To Take After an Auto Accident
There are certain steps you should take immediately following a car accident to protect your rights and interests. These include:
- Calling 911 to alert the proper authorities of the accident. This is required by law if the crash is relatively serious, and a police report will be helpful to the success of your compensation claim.
- Receiving prompt medical attention, regardless of whether you have an obvious injury. Some injuries do not present symptoms immediately, and medical evidence will play a key role in proving your case.
- Not apologizing or accepting blame for the accident. If you do, you could jeopardize the value and success of your claim.
- Collecting evidence at the scene of the crash, if it is safe to do so. This means taking photos and videos of anything that might be relevant, getting the contact information from any eyewitnesses, and taking note of anything else that might help your case.
It’s also important to contact a car accident lawyer shortly after the crash – and before you speak with any insurance companies. An attorney can guide you on how to proceed and can work to ensure your case gets off on the right foot.
Contact a Friendswood Car Accident Lawyer For Help
Car accidents can disrupt your life. Recovering from a serious injury can be a long, exhausting process. An experienced Friendswood car accident lawyer can help you get the money you need to cover treatment and other expenses. Contact The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Personal Injury Lawyers today to schedule your free consultation.
Local Auto Repair Shops
- Mustang Automotive Repair – 708 S Friendswood Dr Friendswood, TX 77546
- Friendswood Auto Center – 304 West Parkwood Friendswood, TX 77546
- Christian Brothers Automotive – 1553 S Friendswood Dr Friendswood, TX 77546
*Disclaimer — we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website.
Recent Blog Posts
- Allstate Worst Insurance Company For Consumers
- How Expensive Is It To Hire a Car Accident Lawyer in Texas?
- Are You Suffering From PTSD After A Car Accident in Friendswood, TX?
- Should I Call 911 After a Car Accident in Texas?
- Should I Hire a Lawyer After a Minor Car Accident in Friendswood, TX?
Friendswood, TX Resources
- Friendswood, TX Official Website – Visit the official website of Friendswood, where you can find everything you need to know about the city.
- Friendswood – Galveston County, TX – Visit the official website of Galveston County, TX.
- Friendswood Library Website – Visit the Friendswood Library official website.
- Friendswood Wikipedia page – History and information about the city of Friendswood, Texas.