Were you injured in a car accident involving a large commercial truck in Galveston, TX? Recovering fair compensation after a severe accident can be challenging. An experienced Galveston truck accident lawyer at The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Personal Injury Lawyers can help prove that you deserve compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and your pain and suffering.
We have over 58 years of combined personal injury law experience under our belts. Since we opened our law firm in 2000, we’ve helped countless clients like you recover the compensation they deserve.
How The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Serious Truck Accident in Galveston, TX
At The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Personal Injury Lawyers, a Galveston personal injury lawyer handles complex personal injury claims every day. We know how dramatically a severe accident can change your life. We also know how critical it is to recover fair compensation for your losses.
There are many different ways that our legal team can help with the personal injury process.
Our lawyers will:
- Investigate, gather evidence, and evaluate the facts to prove causation
- Find out who is legally responsible for your damages
- Engage experts who can help strengthen your claim for compensation
- Identify and document your damages
- Defend you if you’re blamed for the accident
- Handle the insurance negotiations on your behalf
Going up against a large trucking company can be intimidating. Our lawyers are up to the challenge. We have been recognized as “Top 100 Super Lawyers” year after year. Our board-certified attorneys are also members of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
Are you interested in learning more about how a Galveston personal injury lawyer can establish your right to fair compensation after an accident? Contact us today for a free initial consultation.
How Common Are Accidents Involving Large Semi-Trucks in Texas?
While the trucking industry is important to Texas’ economy, truck accidents are more common than you might think.
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), 4,842 large trucks were involved in fatal accidents across the U.S. in 2020. 107,000 large trucks were involved in crashes that caused at least one injury that year.
The Texas Department of Transportation also publishes statistics on accidents that happen in Texas. Across the state of Texas, 25,925 accidents involving semi-trucks and tractor-trailers were reported in 2021.
536 of those trucking accidents were fatal. Another 946 truck wrecks caused serious injuries. In 2,406 truck accident cases, only minor injuries were suspected.
What is My Galveston Truck Accident Case Worth?
Before we can offer insight into your case value, our lawyers will review the facts of your case. Without understanding the unique circumstances of your accident and injury, there’s no way to accurately assess your case value. Any lawyer that tells you otherwise is simply wrong.
That said, there are some variables that are important in nearly all personal injury cases, including:
- The type and severity of your injuries
- The cost of your medical treatment and out-of-pocket costs
- Your need for future medical care or rehabilitation
- How the injury impacts your earnings during recovery
- Whether the injury will have an ongoing impact on your earning potential
- Lifestyle changes made necessary because of the injury
- The impact on your quality of life and ability to enjoy life
- Emotional trauma you have suffered due to the accident and injury
- The circumstances of the accident
These variables are different in every case. Insurance companies don’t always like to admit that. Instead, they rely on multipliers and calculators that could lead to a lower settlement deal. Our lawyers are here to put in the hard work necessary to assess the unique aspects of your case.
Contact our lawyers in Galveston today to learn more about the value of your personal injury claim.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Accident Victims in Galveston?
Personal injury victims are entitled to seek compensation for economic damages and non-economic damages. These damages compensate victims for the specific losses caused by the accident and injury.
Depending on your unique situation, you may deserve compensation for:
- Current medical expenses
- Future medical care
- Lost wages
- Diminished future earning ability
- Physical therapy
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Physical disfigurement and scarring
- Loss of consortium
- Damages for wrongful death in fatal crash cases
When extremely reckless behavior or wanton disregard for human life is involved, you may also be entitled to punitive damages.
How Can Sharing Blame for a Crash Impact My Right to Compensation in Texas?
It’s possible that you could walk away with a reduced settlement if you share some blame for an accident. If you share at least 51% of the blame, however, you lose your right to compensation entirely.
Under Texas modified comparative negligence rules, fault is allocated between all parties to a crash. An injured party who is less than 51% responsible will be responsible for their percentage of fault. So, if you were 20% to blame, you can take home 80% of your compensation.
Our Galveston Truck Accident Attorneys Will Fight to Win Fair Compensation for Your Injuries
At The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Personal Injury Lawyers, we’ll fight to recover full compensation for all of your truck accident injuries, including:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Nerve damage
- Whiplash injuries
- Soft tissue damage
- Head and neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Organ damage
- Crushing injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
These injuries can cause serious life changes. You don’t have to accept the insurance company’s calculation of your losses at face value. Whether you have a settlement deal on the table or need help fighting for what’s fair, contact our legal team to schedule a free case review today.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Truck Accidents in Galveston, Texas?
The FMCSA conducted a nationwide study on the most common causes of truck accidents. According to that study, 87% of all large truck crashes are caused by human error.
Examples of the types of mistakes that tend to cause truck wrecks include:
- Distracted driving
- Fatigued truck drivers and violation of FMCSA hours-of-service rules
- Failure to yield the right-of-way
- Aggressive driving
- Dangerous turns
- Passing too closely
- Inexperienced truck drivers
- Speeding around curves
- Failure to check blind spots
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Drunk driving
- Failure to maintain the truck in safe working condition
It’s impossible to recover fair compensation for your injuries if you don’t know what caused the accident. After all, the insurance company won’t simply hand over a check. They’ll want to see proof of what happened.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Truck Accident in Galveston, Texas?
Most victims must prove negligence to recover compensation after an accident in Texas.
Negligence means that someone failed to exercise reasonable care under the circumstances and caused someone else to suffer injuries.
Your lawyer will search for the evidence you need to prove your case, such as:
- Evidence from the truck’s black box recording device
- Cell phone records from a suspected distracted driver
- The truck driver’s hours-of-service log
- Information about the truck’s inspection and maintenance history
- The truck driver’s commercial driver’s license and qualifications
- Video footage of the crash
- Details about the accident scene
- Statements from eyewitnesses
- Opinions from accident reconstruction specialists.
Our lawyers will also investigate to determine who is actually responsible for paying your damages. For example, if the truck driver was an employee, the trucking company can be held liable for the driver’s negligence.
Other parties who may share financial responsibility could include:
- Maintenance companies
- Manufacturers of defective truck parts
- Third-party motorists
- Government agencies responsible for road maintenance or oversight
- A company responsible for dangerous cargo
- Someone who is in charge of securing the truck’s tractor and trailer
Truck accident claims often involve issues that aren’t relevant in car accident cases involving only passenger vehicles. That means it’s especially important to have an experienced accident lawyer in your corner. To learn more about our experience and track record of success, call The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Personal Injury Lawyers today.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Serious Truck Accident in Texas?
Even if your injuries were severe, you only have a limited amount of time to sue for damages. The deadline is called the statute of limitations. In Texas, you must file a personal injury lawsuit within two years of the crash. Otherwise, you lose your right to compensation altogether.
Contact a Galveston Truck Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
As the victim, it’s up to you to take legal action after a crash. That’s the only way you’ll recover fair compensation for your losses. Contact The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Personal Injury Lawyers today to learn how an experienced Galveston truck accident attorney can help prove that you deserve compensation.
Galveston, TX Emergency Rooms
- Hospitality Health ER – 4222 Seawall Blvd Galveston, TX 77550
- UTMB Health Emergency Room – 301 University Blvd, Galveston, TX 77555
Galveston, TX Drug Stores
- Walgreens – 501 61st St, Galveston, TX 77551
- CVS – 2326 61st St, Galveston, TX 77551
- Galveston Broadway Drug – 2027 Broadway Avenue J, Galveston, TX 77550
- CVS Pharmacy – 6128 Broadway St, Galveston, TX 77551
*Disclaimer — we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website.