Were you or a loved one a victim of medical negligence in Galveston, TX? You may be entitled to hold the negligent healthcare provider liable for medical bills, lost wages, and your pain and suffering. An experienced Galveston medical malpractice lawyer at The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd can help you fight for every available dollar.
Our lawyers have over 58 years of combined experience. Since we started fighting for clients like you, we’ve recovered over $500 million in life-changing settlements and verdicts.
How The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Can Help if I Was a Victim of Medical Malpractice in Galveston
At some point, we all have to rely on doctors and hospitals to provide the medical care we need. While it’s unfortunate, not all healthcare providers provide the proper level of care. Doctors are human, and they make mistakes all the time.
If you’re suffering because of a doctor’s mistake, an experienced Galveston injury lawyer at The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd will stand up and protect you.
Our AV-rated lawyers have been recognized by Super Lawyers, the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, the American College of Trial Lawyers, and many more prominent professional organizations.
We’ll put our experience to work for you by:
- Gathering evidence, analyzing medical documents, and interviewing witnesses
- Compiling all available evidence to prove your case
- Consulting respected medical experts so that we can understand the level of care you should have received–and what went wrong
- Calculating the level of damages you deserve to receive
- Negotiating with the insurance companies for a full settlement award
- Fighting to win fair compensation before a judge and jury if necessary
Without proper legal advice, your case could be dismissed before you get a chance to tell your story. To learn more about how our Galveston personal injury attorneys can help, call to schedule a free consultation today.
Shocking Statistics on Medical Malpractice
Medical malpractice happens much more often than you might anticipate.
Recent studies suggest that medical errors are one of the leading causes of death in the United States. Every year, research shows that more than 250,000 people die because of issues related to medical negligence in the U.S.
Medical malpractice is not only dangerous, but it’s expensive. In Texas, medical malpractice insurance companies paid more than $95 million in compensation to victims of medical negligence during 2022.
Overview of the Medical Malpractice Laws in Texas
All medical professionals in Texas owe a duty of care to their patients. That includes doctors, surgeons, nurses, and even physician’s assistants.
That duty of care means they’re obligated to provide care that meets the generally accepted standard of care. Your doctor is required to provide the level of care that a reasonable doctor with similar skill and training would provide under the circumstances. If they failed to meet that standard, you may have a valid claim for compensation.
Medical malpractice can occur at any stage of your treatment.
At The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd, we handle all types of medical malpractice cases, including those involving:
- Surgical errors
- Emergency room errors
- Anesthesia errors
- Radiology errors
- Prescription drug errors
- Hospital-acquired infections
- Defective medical devices
- Hospital negligence
- Nursing negligence
- Dialysis errors
- Chemotherapy errors
- Nursing home abuse
- Nursing home neglect
- Pharmacy errors
- Birth injuries
Medical malpractice is one of the most complex areas of law in Texas. If you believe you have a valid claim for compensation, speak with an experienced attorney today. Our qualified medical malpractice lawyers in Galveston offer free case reviews, so there’s no risk in learning more about your right to seek compensation.
What Is My Galveston Medical Malpractice Case Worth?
The value of any injury case can vary based on many different factors. No two medical malpractice claims are exactly the same, as they each have their own sets of facts and circumstances.
The value of your medical malpractice claim will depend on:
- The type of injuries you’ve sustained
- The cost of your medical treatment
- The long-term consequences you will face because of your doctor’s mistake
- The extent of the pain, suffering, and trauma you will experience
- Whether the mistake will impact your ability to work
- The value of your lost wages
- The types of losses you have suffered due to the mistake
- The nature of the medical error that caused you harm
To learn more about your case value, call our legal team to schedule a free case evaluation today.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Victims of Medical Malpractice in Galveston, TX?
Victims of medical negligence can pursue compensation for two primary types of damages: economic damages and non-economic damages.
Depending on your losses, you may be entitled to compensation for the following types of economic losses:
- Past medical expenses
- Additional medical expenses that were made necessary because of the error
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning potential
- Medical devices
- Specialized therapies
Your non-economic damages may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Physical disfigurement and scarring
- Loss of consortium
While you’re entitled to seek compensation for all of your losses, Texas law imposes a cap on the amount of non-economic damages you can recover.
There is a $250,000 cap on the amount of damages you can recover from each healthcare provider. In cases where multiple healthcare providers are named as defendants, non-economic damages are capped at $500,000–although no single defendant can be held liable for more than $250,000 in economic damages.
Our Galveston Medical Malpractice Attorneys Will Fight To Recover Compensation for All of Your Injuries
Some of the most common consequences that victims of medical negligence suffer include:
- A worsened underlying condition
- The need for more extensive medical care
- Reduced life expectancy
- Inability to enjoy the activities you enjoyed prior to the error
- Brain damage
- Bed sores
- Sepsis and shock
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
Victims of medical negligence often suffer from mental health disorders, such as depression and anxiety. After all, some medical errors can never be fully corrected.
At The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd, we’ll fight to recover full compensation for all the harm you have suffered. Just give us a call to schedule your free consultation today.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Medical Errors in Galveston, Texas?
Hundreds of thousands of patients die because of medical mistakes every year. So, why are all of these mistakes happening?
While medical errors happen for many different reasons, they often occur because hospitals and emergency rules are overworked. When people are overworked and fatigued, they tend to make mistakes.
More specifically, some of the most common causes of medical malpractice include:
- Failure to diagnose cancer and other diseases
- Failure to order the correct diagnostic tests
- Misinterpreting lab results
- Failure to train and supervise medical professionals
- General fatigue and physician burnout
- Failure to take a full patient history
- Communication and charting errors
- Dangerous drug interactions
- Mistaken patient identity
- Inexperienced healthcare providers
- Failure to monitor a patient
- Failure to provide proper pre-and post-operative instructions
- Operating on the wrong body part
- Failure to obtain informed consent
- Failure to recognize a patient’s symptoms
These are the types of mistakes that can cause serious long-term damage. If you were a victim, contact our Galveston medical malpractice attorneys to learn more about how we can help prove your case.
How Do I Prove I Deserve Compensation if I Was Harmed By a Medical Provider’s Error?
To establish your right to compensation in a medical malpractice case, you must prove:
- The defendant owed you a legal duty of care (all medical providers owe patients a duty of care)
- The standard of care you should have received
- The medical provider breached their duty by failing to meet the standard of care
- The damages, or harm, you suffered as a result
Testimony from medical experts will be necessary to establish the medical standard of care that applies in your case. Generally, that standard depends on the nature of your medical condition, your overall health, age, and life expectancy at the time of treatment.
How Long Do I Have To File a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit After My Doctor Made a Mistake in Texas?
Under Texas law, you must file a lawsuit within two years of the error to recover compensation. However, the statute of limitations is extended if you did not discover the mistake for some time. The two-year period will start to run on the date you learned or reasonably should have learned about the mistake.
However, you must file a lawsuit within 10 years of the error, regardless of when you discover that error. Contacting an experienced medical malpractice attorney in Galveston is the best way to preserve your rights and ensure you know the appropriate deadline for your case.
Contact a Galveston Medical Malpractice Lawyer for a Free Initial Consultation
If you were a victim of medical malpractice, you shouldn’t have to suffer the consequences alone. A Galveston medical malpractice lawyer can help you fight for justice. Contact The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd to learn more about your rights today.