Property owners in Galveston, Texas, can be legally responsible if you get hurt because of a dangerous condition on their premises. If you recently slipped and fell, got bitten by a dog, or were assaulted on someone else’s property in Galveston, call The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd for help asserting your rights. Our Galveston premises liability lawyers can help you take action and fight for the financial accountability you need and deserve.
Together, our award-winning Texas trial attorneys have over 58 years of experience handling complex personal injury disputes. Since 2000, we’ve helped our clients take on powerful businesses and corporations across the state, fighting for justice after life-changing accidents.
Our results speak volumes, with more than $500 million in settlements and jury awards recovered.
How The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Can Help With Your Premises Liability Lawsuit in Galveston, TX
How can you prove that the property owner was negligent? What evidence will you need to prove your case? What happens if the property owner tries to argue that you were negligent and, therefore, share responsibility for your accident? How can you know if a settlement offer is fair?
Our Galveston premises liability lawyers are more than ready to handle these – and other – important issues on your behalf.
When you turn to our law firm for help after your accident, you’ll have the opportunity to focus on recovering from your traumatic injuries. Our team will take the lead on your premises liability case and fight to not only win, but recover the substantial monetary award you need and deserve.
Count on us to:
- Carefully investigate the circumstances of your accident and the resulting injuries
- Determine your legal status on the premises at the time of the accident
- Obtain photographs, property maintenance records, inspection reports, prior complaints of problems on the premises, video recordings, medical records, witness testimony, and other evidence
- File and prepare legal claims and documentation on your behalf
- Prepare a compelling legal claim that forces meaningful negotiations with the property owner and/or their insurance company
- Represent your best interests at trial if you are not given a fair settlement offer
At The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd, we handle premises liability matters on a contingency fee basis. There are no upfront costs or out-of-pocket fees. You only pay if our premises liability attorneys in Galveston win compensation for your case. End of story.
Contact our law office in Galveston area to learn more. Your first consultation is free.
What Is Premises Liability?
Premises liability refers to a legal obligation of property owners and businesses in Texas to provide a safe environment for invited guests and visitors.
Pursuant to Texas state law, owners have a responsibility to exercise ordinary care over their premises. Simply put, owners have to protect visitors from reasonably foreseeable hazards, harm, or danger.
The lengths to which an owner has to go to protect guests vary, depending on why the guest is on the premises.
- Invitees are owed the highest duty of care. You’re considered an invitee when you lawfully enter a property for a business purpose with the owner’s consent. Examples include diners at a restaurant, shoppers at a grocery store, and patrons at a gym. Property owners must regularly inspect their premises for hazardous conditions, fix dangers upon discovery, and warn of potential dangers.
- Licensees are owed a moderate duty of care. You’re considered a licensee when you lawfully enter premises for a personal or social purpose with the owner’s consent. For example, you’d be a licensee as a social guest at a friend’s home or if you ran into a gas station for the sole purpose of using the restroom. Property owners must fix known dangers upon discovery and warn guests of potential threats of harm. There is no obligation to inspect for hazards.
- Trespassers are generally owed no duty of care under Texas state law. Owners must only refrain from intentionally harming individuals who enter their premises without consent or permission.
Our premises liability attorneys in Galveston will carefully evaluate the details of your case, identify your status as a guest, and work to determine if the owner failed to satisfy their obligation to keep you safe under the law.
Decades of Experience Representing Clients in All Types of Premises Liability Cases in Galveston, TX
At The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd, we advocate for clients in all types of premises liability disputes in Galveston, including:
- Slip and fall accidents
- Falls from heights
- Falling object accidents
- Elevator and escalator accidents
- Broken sidewalk accidents
- Building collapse accidents
- Toxic exposure
- Swimming pool accidents
- Amusement park accidents
- Dog bites and animal attacks
- Sexual assault
- Negligent security
If you’ve been injured because a property owner failed to exercise ordinary care over their premises, call our law office in Galveston area for immediate assistance. Our premises liability attorneys can listen to the details of your case and help you fight for the financial accountability you deserve.
What Do I Have To Prove To Win a Premises Liability Lawsuit in Galveston?
At its core, premises liability is all about negligence. So, when you get hurt at a business, on government property, or on someone else’s property, you’ll have the burden of proving that the owner (or management) was negligent.
Specifically, you’ll need to establish the following:
- You were legally on premises owned and/or operated by the defendant
- A hazardous condition or danger existed on the premises
- Through ordinary care, the defendant knew, or should have known, about the hazard
- The defendant failed to fix or warn of the hazard
- You were injured because of the dangerous condition
- The hazardous condition was not open and obvious
- You’ve suffered damages
In other words, you have the burden of proving that you wouldn’t have been injured if the owner had exercised appropriate care over the premises. If they’d upheld the duty of care owed to you as an invitee or licensee, the dangerous condition wouldn’t have existed, and you wouldn’t have gotten hurt.
What Damages Can I Get if I Win My Galveston Premises Liability Case?
Through a premises liability lawsuit, you can generally ask a court to award both economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages are paid to make you financially whole after your accident. These account for the verifiable (and projected) financial costs and losses you experience because of your accident.
- Current medical expenses
- Future medical bills
- Lost wages and earnings
- Lost job opportunities
- Diminished earning capacity
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Nursing care
- Funeral expenses if an accident is fatal
Non-economic damages are paid to help you cope with the trauma and changes you experience as a victim.
- Chronic physical pain
- Emotional distress
- Physical scarring
- Loss of consortium
- Pain and suffering
- Reduced quality of life
Texas law also allows the application of punitive damages, but only in certain situations. A jury must be able to find by clear and convincing evidence that the defendant’s conduct was intentional or grossly negligent.
Count on our premises liability lawyers in Galveston to actively pursue all damages available to you under state law. We will carefully investigate your case and work closely with experts throughout the claims process. When it’s time to negotiate, we’ll have crafted a solid legal claim that forces meaningful conversations and puts you in the position to get every cent you deserve.
How Long Will I Have To File a Premises Liability Lawsuit in Galveston, Texas?
Texas has a two-year statute of limitations that applies to most premises liability lawsuits.
This gives you:
- Two years from the date of your accident, or
- Two years from the date of a loved one’s wrongful death
to formally pursue compensation for your injuries, costs, and suffering.
Once the deadline expires, you will no longer reserve the right to demand compensation from a negligent property owner or business in the Galveston area.
It’s in your best interest to reach out to an experienced premises liability attorney near you in Galveston right away. The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd can begin to work on your case as soon as you ask for our help.
Schedule a Free Consultation With an Experienced Galveston Premises Liability Lawyer
Don’t let a negligent property owner off the hook for your injuries. You got hurt because they failed to take care of their premises. Now they should have to help you cover the costs and move forward with your life. The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd can help you make that a reality.
Our Galveston premises liability lawyers have 58+ years of experience and have won over $500 million for deserving clients like you.
Put our award-winning team in your corner by calling our Galveston law office. We offer a free case assessment, so reach out to begin today.