Friendswood Personal Injury Lawyer
Were you injured by another party’s negligent or wrongful actions in Friendswood, TX? Contact a Friendswood personal injury lawyer at The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd for help. You may be able to pursue compensation for your medical bills, lost income, and suffering.
Our attorneys have 58 years of combined experience to put behind your case, and we’ve acquired hundreds of millions of dollars for injured people throughout Texas.
Contact us today at (281) 992-8633 to schedule a free initial consultation with one of our experienced attorneys.
Why Should I Hire The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd To Handle My Friendswood Personal Injury Case?
When you’re searching for an attorney after an accident in Friendswood, Texas, experience and results matter.
The legal team at The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd has nearly six decades of collective experience, and we’re family-owned and operated. We are a small law firm that takes on large, complex cases and wins.
Our Friendswood personal injury attorneys have acquired some of the most significant verdicts in Galveston County. We also have an attorney who is Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law and Civil Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization – a rare distinction in Texas.
If you hire our law firm after an accident, you can expect us to:
- Explain your legal rights and options and provide personalized attention throughout your case
- Investigate the cause of your accident and who shares liability
- Gather evidence proving every element of your case
- Consult leading experts as necessary to prove complex issues
- Calculate the value of your past and future losses, including non-economic damages
- Negotiate with insurance companies and other opposing parties for a settlement that fully compensates you
- Protect you from tactics that serve to undermine your claim
- Represent you at trial if we cannot reach a fair out-of-court agreement
You shouldn’t have to worry about taking on a legal battle when you’re dealing with painful injuries, medical treatment, and emotional trauma. Let us ease some of your stress, and give yourself time to focus on your well-being and recovery.
Our law office offers a free initial consultation with an experienced personal injury lawyer. We’ll discuss what happened and your options for pursuing compensation. Contact us today to learn more about our legal services and practice areas.
Do I Have a Personal Injury Case?
You likely have a valid personal injury claim if another party’s actions or inactions caused your injuries.
The following incidents may give rise to a valid personal injury case:
- A speeding driver causes a car accident
- A business owner fails to warn a customer of a dangerous condition on the property (premises liability)
- A defective product injures a consumer (product liability)
- A physician fails to promptly diagnose a medical condition (medical malpractice)
- A person’s negligent actions lead to the death of a family member (wrongful death)
- A worker is injured on the job
These are just a few scenarios that could give you the right to file a personal injury claim. Contact our personal injury lawyers in Friendswood to determine whether you can take legal action to hold another individual liable for your injuries.
Why Should I Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
Friendswood accident victims who hire an attorney tend to receive more compensation than those who choose to represent themselves. A personal injury lawyer handles claims and insurance adjusters every day. They know what to look for and how to negotiate effectively.
A personal injury attorney will:
- Level the playing field: Insurance companies and other defendants have vast resources to fight claims. They’ll make it as difficult as possible for you to recover fair compensation for your damages. An attorney will put you on equal footing with these opponents and ensure you’re treated fairly.
- Have access to experts: Some injury cases require assistance from an expert, whether to prove a technical or complex issue or to help calculate future damages. An experienced attorney has built relationships with leading experts and will know who to call for help.
- Protect you from unproven allegations of shared blame: If a defendant can shift blame to you, you may see some or all of your compensation disappear. An attorney will push back against these allegations and protect your rights.
- Thoroughly handle your case so that you can rest and recover: You may be dealing with painful injuries and a long road to recovery. Your attorney will handle your legal claim so that you can focus primarily on your health.
To learn more about the benefits of creating an attorney-client relationship, contact our Friendswood personal injury law firm today for a free case evaluation.
Why Should I File a Personal Injury Claim?
When you file a personal injury claim, you can pursue compensation for the losses you suffered at the hands of another party. That includes money for medical bills and other expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Filing an injury claim is often the only way to hold an at-fault party financially accountable for their actions. Otherwise, you’d have to take on the financial burden for something that wasn’t your fault.
The goal is to put you in a similar monetary position as you were before the accident.
We Handle All Personal Injury Cases in Friendswood, TX
The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd handles all types of personal injury matters in Texas. Some of our primary practice areas include the following:
If you’ve been hurt in a car accident, our Friendswood car accident lawyers can help you identify every party who shares responsibility and hold them accountable. We’ll file the insurance claims and communicate with adjusters on your behalf. We know how to negotiate for the settlement you need, and we’re not afraid to go to court if necessary.
A traumatic brain injury – such as a concussion, contusion, or skull fracture – can result from any type of accident. Brain damage can negatively impact a personal injury victim’s motor skills, cognitive function, and communication ability, leading to long-term complications.
If someone else caused your brain injury in Friendswood, TX, they should be held liable for your past and future losses. Our Friendswood brain injury attorneys will file a claim on your behalf and fight for the full value of your damages.
An accident with a large commercial truck can be devastating, particularly for occupants in smaller vehicles. And unfortunately, truck accident cases can be complex.
They may involve multiple parties, such as:
- A truck driver
- Trucking company
- Maintenance company
- Cargo loading company
- Manufacturer of a defective truck part or component
If you’ve sustained a catastrophic injury in a semi-truck accident, our Friendswood truck accident lawyers will pursue every party who bears liability.
Motorcycle accidents can cause catastrophic and fatal injuries, even when riders are wearing protective gear. If a driver struck your motorcycle, you could be entitled to compensation for the resulting losses.
Our law firm can help you hold the at-fault driver accountable and work to maximize the value of your claim.
Texas has some of the most dangerous industries in the country. However, a worker can get hurt at almost any job, regardless of the danger level.
You may be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits after a workplace accident. You may also be entitled to additional compensation through a third-party lawsuit, depending on the circumstances. Our legal team can help you explore your rights and options.
Losing a loved one in a fatal Friendswood accident is devastating. Texas law permits certain surviving family members to file a wrongful death claim, which is separate from any criminal proceedings. Contact a Friendswood wrongful death lawyer to pursue compensation for funeral expenses, loss of inheritance, loss of companionship, and more.
While it won’t bring your loved one back, a wrongful death case will provide financial support that may be necessary after losing a vital member of your household.
Other Personal Injury Cases
The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd strives to help clients injured in all types of accidents. We have experience representing individuals injured in:
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Bicycle Accidents
- Uber & Lyft Accidents
- Construction Accidents
- Premises Liability Incidents
- Slip and Falls
- Dog Bites
- Medical Malpractice
Contact us today to learn how we can help you pursue compensation after your accident.
How Much Does It Cost To Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer in Friendswood, TX?
Most personal injury attorneys in Friendswood take cases on a contingency fee basis. Under this fee structure, you do not have to pay any money upfront, and your lawyer’s payment depends on the outcome of your case.
Your attorney will get started right away and take care of any case-related expenses. You’ll only owe attorney’s fees if your lawyer obtains a settlement or judgment on your behalf.
The fee is typically between 33-40% but may vary depending on various circumstances. You’ll agree upon the percentage at the beginning of your case, so there will be no surprises.
The severity of injuries is typically the primary indicator of whether a case will be high-value. For instance, a life-altering catastrophic injury may result in extensive medical expenses and diminished quality of life. You may need ongoing treatment for the rest of your life, which will result in significant damages.
However, we’ll need to evaluate your case based on the totality of relevant factors to understand what it’s worth.
How Much Is My Personal Injury Case Worth?
Every personal injury case is unique. Even if two victims are involved in the exact same accident, they may sustain completely different injuries.
Accordingly, the value of your personal injury claim will depend on the specifics, such as:
- The injuries you suffered and their severity
- All the ways your injuries impact your life, including your ability to earn a living and care for yourself
- Your medical costs, other expenses, and lost wages
- The mental suffering, physical pain, and trauma you’ve endured
- Whether you contributed in any way to the accident
- The parties involved in the case and any available insurance policies
How Long Do I Have To File a Lawsuit After an Accident in Texas?
The Texas statute of limitations typically only gives you two years to file a lawsuit. The clock starts to run on the date of the accident for a personal injury lawsuit and the date of death for a wrongful death case.
However, there may be exceptions under Texas law that provide more or less time to act. For instance, if a government entity is involved in your case, you usually must provide notice of your claim within six months. If you don’t file your lawsuit in time, you’ll lose your right to pursue legal action against the responsible party.
Contact an experienced injury attorney to avoid missing the deadline that applies to your case.
What Damages Are Available To Accident Victims?
After an accident in Friendswood, TX, you can pursue compensation for the full extent of your financial and personal losses.
Economic damages represent your expenses and monetary costs, such as:
- Medical expenses incurred
- Future healthcare requirements, such as surgery
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Lost wages and employment benefits
- Diminished earning capacity
- Property damage
- Reasonable and necessary out-of-pocket expenses
Non-economic damages are the subjective losses you experience due to the accident and your injuries, such as:
- Emotional trauma
- Reduced enjoyment of life
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disability, impairment, or disfigurement
We can also help you pursue punitive damages (exemplary damages) if you qualify. While rare, courts award these damages to punish defendants for extremely reckless or malicious acts.
What Are the Four Elements of Negligence?
To establish negligence liability, you must provide evidence in support of the following four legal elements:
- Duty of Care – This element is about making sure the at-fault party owed you a duty of care at the time of the accident. For example, motorists owe a duty of care to other motorists in terms of driving safely and obeying traffic rules.
- Breach of Duty – Did the at-fault party’s actions or omissions amount to a violation of the duty of care? For instance, driving through a red light likely amounts to a breach of duty.
- Causation – You must prove that the opposing party caused your accident, both factually and proximately. Factual causation means that, but for the at-fault party’s behavior, the accident wouldn’t have occurred. Proximate causation means that it’s reasonably foreseeable that the at-fault party’s conduct could cause the type of accident in question.
- Damages – Have you sustained damages as a result of what the opposing party did? This generally means either physical injury or financial losses.
If you can supply enough proof to meet each of these elements “by a preponderance of the evidence,” you’ll be well on your way to securing compensation for your injuries. Our attorneys are well-suited to help you throughout the process; call today for a free case review.
How Can a Personal Injury Lawyer Help Me After an Accident in Friendswood, TX?
A lawyer can be a vital resource after suffering a personal injury in Friendswood, TX. They’ll be your biggest supporter and significantly increase your chances of securing the maximum compensation available.
Here’s how a personal injury lawyer can help you; they’ll:
- Offer a free consultation to discuss your accident and provide preliminary advice
- Keep you updated throughout your case and help you make informed decisions
- Investigate what caused your injury to gather evidence and determine who shares financial responsibility
- Build a solid case using evidence, expert witness opinions, eyewitness testimony, medical records, accident reports, and more
- Monitor all deadlines and handle necessary paperwork and communications
- Negotiate and protect you from lowball offers
- File a formal lawsuit and engage in pre-trial discovery with the opposing party
- Advocate for you before a jury and present the strongest case possible
Some personal injury cases can be complex and time-consuming. An attorney will put in the time and effort to ensure you obtain a successful result.
What Should I Do After an Accident?
You may be disoriented after an accident. After all, it can be a traumatizing experience with far-reaching consequences.
However, you should take a few steps to protect your rights and make things easier should you decide to pursue legal action:
- Notify the police of the incident. Some accidents – such as car crashes or accidents that cause death – should be reported to law enforcement immediately. For instance, Texas law requires that drivers report collisions involving injury or death. Even if it isn’t required by law, having an objective police report will help if you file a personal injury claim.
- Exchange information at the accident scene. For example, you might exchange information with the other driver after a car accident or with a store owner if you slipped and fell.
- Gather evidence if possible. This may include taking photos and videos of a crash scene or asking eyewitnesses for their contact information.
- Promptly seek medical attention. Even if you don’t think you’re injured, you should get a checkup from a physician. Some injuries – such as concussions – have delayed symptoms. If you wait too long for treatment, the opposing party may argue that something else caused your harm. Plus, your medical records are a vital piece of evidence.
- Do not admit fault for the accident. Many people make the mistake of apologizing or saying something that can be taken out of context. This can hurt any future claim you bring. You can’t know for sure if you caused the accident until a full investigation is completed.
Contact our experienced attorneys for help. We’ll ensure that you take the proper steps and fulfill all legal obligations.
Contact Our Experienced Friendswood Personal Injury Lawyers For Legal Help
If you or a loved one were injured in an accident in Friendswood, TX, our experienced lawyers will help you pursue a claim for damages. Call our Friendswood personal injury attorneys to get the guidance you need.
We’ll handle every aspect of your case so that you can focus on your physical and emotional recovery. We’ll ensure we understand the full extent of your losses and fight for every dollar you deserve.
Contact our law firm today for a free case assessment to learn more about our legal services.
Local Emergency Rooms
- HCA Houston ER 24/7 – 225 E Parkwood Dr, Friendswood, TX 77546
- Memorial Hermann-GoHealth Urgent Care – 1505 Winding Way Dr #112, Friendswood, TX 77546
- CareNow Urgent Care – 1729 S Friendswood Dr, Friendswood, TX 77546
*Disclaimer — we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website.
Friendswood, TX Resources
- Friendswood, TX Official Website – Visit the official website of Friendswood, where you can find everything you need to know about the city.
- Friendswood – Galveston County, TX – Visit the official website of Galveston County, TX.
- Friendswood Library Website – Visit the Friendswood Library official website.
- Friendswood Wikipedia page – History and information about the city of Friendswood, Texas.