Were you or a loved one the victim of assault in Galveston, Texas? If so, the person who assaulted you might face criminal charges. However, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, loss of income, and other damages under Texas personal injury law.
At The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Personal Injury Lawyers, we work to protect accident victims and their families in Texas. Our Galveston personal injury lawyers have over 58 years of combined legal experience.
Our legal team has a successful track record of winning top awards and settlements for our clients. We have recovered over $500 million in settlements and verdicts for our clients in cases involving Galveston brain injury, pedestrian accidents, Galveston medical malpractice, workplace accidents, and more.
We put your interests as our top priority. We work with leading experts and in-house investigators to build a solid case proving your claim. Our attorneys are always available to address your concerns and answer your questions because you are a priority to us. We focus on your individual needs by providing personalized attention to your case from start to finish.
At The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Personal Injury Lawyers, we are available 24/7 to discuss your case. Contact us today at (409)-207-9299 to schedule a free consultation with a Galveston assault injury lawyer.
How The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Personal Injury Lawyers Can You With an Assault Injury Claim in Galveston, Texas
An assault can result in severe physical and emotional injuries. No one should be allowed to get away with attacking you. The criminal justice system works to punish the attacker for their wrongdoing. Our Galveston assault injury lawyers work to hold the attack financially liable for the damages you suffered from an assault.
When you are fighting for justice for an assault injury, you want experienced, aggressive, and trusted personal injury attorneys handling your case. Attorney Alton C. Todd holds a dual certification from The Texas Board of Legal Specialization in civil trial law and personal law. Our Galveston personal injury attorneys are highly rated and recognized by organizations, including Super Lawyers, The American College of Trial Lawyers, and The National Board of Trial Advocacy.
Our lawyers are known and trusted by the legal community and our clients. When you hire our top-rated Galveston personal injury lawyers, you can trust we will do everything within our power to win your case, including:
- Monitor the criminal investigation and case by law enforcement officers and the prosecutor’s office
- Conduct an independent investigation to gather evidence proving the personal injury claim
- Work with your physicians, medical specialists, financial professionals, and other experts to determine the extent of your injuries and damages
- Identify and document all damages to determine how much your assault injury case is worth
- Pursue insurance claims and personal injury lawsuits against the attack and other parties who could be responsible for what happened to you
You deserve to be compensated for the pain and suffering caused by an assault. You should also receive reimbursement for the financial losses you incurred. At The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Personal Injury Lawyers, we fight to get you an amount that fairly compensates you for all damages.
Contact us today to schedule a free case evaluation with an experienced assault injury lawyer in Galveston, TX.
Criminal Assault vs. Civil Assault in Galveston, TX
Criminal assault is defined by the Texas Penal Code as:
- Knowingly and intentionally threatening someone or their spouse with imminent bodily injury;
- Knowingly and intentionally recklessly causing some or their spouse bodily injury; or,
- Knowingly and intentionally causing physical contact with someone when the attack knew or should have reasonably believed the other person would regard the contact as provocative or offensive.
If the state proves the elements of criminal assault, the attacker could face jail time, fines, and other criminal penalties. You do not need to be physically injured or even be touched to be the victim of assault in Galveston, TX. Threatening the harm is sufficient to be guilty of criminal assault.
At The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Personal Injury Lawyers, We Handle All Types of Assault Injury Cases
Assault injury cases can arise from many situations. Our Galveston assault injury attorney handles cases of assault injury arising from:
- Sexual assault
- Bar fights
- Fights at entertainment venues and sports facilities
- Brawls at clubs and other venues
- Police brutality
- Domestic violence and abuse
It does not matter whether the attacker was someone you knew or a stranger. You are entitled to seek compensation from the person who caused your assault injury. In some cases, third parties could share liability for your damages if they allowed or were involved in the assault. Our Galveston assault injury lawyers pursue all parties who may be responsible for your injuries.
Who Is Liable for an Assault Injury Claim in Galveston, TX?
The person who physically attacked you and caused you harm is the primary defendant in an assault injury lawsuit. However, the attacker might not be the only person who is liable for your damages. Other parties who contributed to the cause of your assault injury could share liability for damages.
For example, your employer could be liable for an assault injury claim if they negligently hired and/or retained an employee they knew to be dangerous. A government entity could be liable if your attacker were a government employee. Likewise, property owners could be liable for damages under premises liability laws for attacks occurring on their property.
Our Galveston assault injury attorneys perform a thorough investigation into how and why you were attacked. We carefully consider all factors and circumstances when determining who is liable for your injuries and damages. Your attack is the person who caused your injuries and harm, but we also pursue claims against third parties for their negligence or wrongdoing that contributed to the attack.
What Damages Are Available for a Galveston Assault Injury Claim?
Victims of assault sustain a variety of injuries and damages because of the attack. They can receive compensatory damages for these losses in the form of economic and non-economic damages.
Examples of economic damages in an assault injury case include:
- Medical bills and emergency room costs
- Rehabilitation therapy
- Counseling and mental health therapy
- Lost wages and benefits
- Nursing assistance and/or personal care
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Diminished earning capacity
The financial losses are only one part of the damages claim. A victim can also receive compensation for the pain and suffering they experienced because of the attack and assault injury. Examples of non-economic damages in an assault injury case include:
- Emotional distress and mental anguish
- Psychological conditions, including depression, anxiety, PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder), and fear
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Reductions in quality of life
- Physical pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Impairments and disabilities
Because assault is an intentional tort, the jury may also award punitive damages. The damages are awarded to punish the defendant for their conduct, but the injured party receives the money awarded.
The value of your assault injury claim depends on many factors. The severity of your injuries and the duration of your recovery are factors that could impact how much your case is worth. Likewise, the strength of your evidence could impact how much you receive for damages.
At The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Personal Injury Lawyers, our Galveston assault injury lawyers work with numerous expert witnesses to gather additional evidence to support your claim for damages. We may retain vocational rehabilitation specialists, medical experts, psychologists, therapists, and other experts to provide expert opinions and evidence to build a solid case for compensation for all damages.
What Is the Statute of Limitations for an Assault Injury Lawsuit in Galveston, TX?
The statute of limitations for personal injury claims applies to assault injury cases. It sets a deadline to file a lawsuit seeking damages. The court can dismiss your lawsuit without considering the merits of your case if you miss the filing deadline.
Most assault injury claims in Texas have a two-year statute of limitations. However, exceptions could change the deadline, such as a government entity being involved, which could shorten the time to file. On the other hand, if the victim is a minor, they could have additional time to file.
Determining the statute of limitations for an assault injury claim can be tricky. We strongly encourage you to seek legal advice as soon as possible to avoid losing your right to pursue a civil claim against your attacker.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Galveston Assault Injury Lawyers
Assault injury claims are complex personal injury cases. Even if the criminal courts find the attack guilty of a crime, you still have the burden of proving the legal elements for a personal injury claim. We understand what is at stake and will work to obtain the best possible outcome in your case.
Contact us today at (409)-207-9299 to request a free case review from an experienced Galveston assault injury attorney. Our compassionate legal team is here to help you when you need guidance, support, and trusted legal advice.
Visit Our Personal Injury Law Office In Galveston, TX
The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Personal Injury Lawyers
Our personal injury law firm in Galveston, TX, also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Galveston, TX
- Brain Injury Attorney in Galveston, TX
- Car Accident Attorneys in Galveston, TX
- Construction Accident Lawyer in Galveston, TX
- Dog Bite Lawyers in Galveston, TX
- Medical Malpractice Attorney in Galveston, TX
- Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Galveston, TX
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Galveston, TX
- Premises Liability Lawyers in Galveston, TX
- Product Liability Attorney in Galveston, TX
- Truck Accident Attorneys in Galveston, TX
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Galveston, TX
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyers in Galveston, TX
- Workplace Accident Attorney in Galveston, TX