If you or a loved one were involved in a motor vehicle accident involving a semi-truck or tractor-trailer in Friendswood, TX, you may have legal options. An experienced Friendswood truck accident lawyer at The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd can help. You may be entitled to recover compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and your pain and suffering.
Collectively, our lawyers have over 58 years of experience standing up for injured clients like you. Since 2000, we’ve worked hard to earn our track record of success. We’re ready to fight for you.
How Can The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Help If I Was Injured in a Truck Accident in Friendswood, TX?
The injuries sustained in a truck accident can devastate your family. Unfortunately, victims are often left feeling powerless and confused when the insurance company tries to downplay their injuries or blame them for the crash. It’s important to have an experienced Friendswood personal injury lawyer to advocate on your behalf.
At The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd, our lawyers have earned AV ratings from LexisNexis and Martindale-Hubbell. We’ve also been listed among Texas’ Top 100 Super Lawyers nine times and earned a place on the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
When you choose our legal team to protect you, you’ll have a skilled advocate to:
- Launch a detailed investigation into the crash
- Gather and analyze every piece of available evidence
- Search for ways to protect you if you’re blamed for the accident
- Work with top-rated experts and specialists in various fields
- Identify all parties who are legally responsible for your damages
- Determine how much your case is worth
- Negotiate with the insurance companies for the full compensation you deserve
When the insurance company sees that you’ve hired our Friendswood personal injury attorneys, they’re much more likely to take you seriously. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help make this difficult time easier for your family.
How Common Are Truck Accidents in the State of Texas?
According to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), 22,225 car accidents involving large commercial trucks were reported across the state of Texas in 2021.
2,686 of those crashes caused either minor or severe injuries. Unfortunately, 413 people were killed in severe commercial truck accidents statewide that year.
How Much Money Can I Recover If My Friendswood Truck Accident Case Is Successful?
Assessing the financial value of an injury is always difficult. That’s especially true when your injuries are severe and life-changing.
There are many different factors that might influence the value of your personal injury claim. To recover a fair settlement, it’s important to weigh all of the variables involved in your case.
Examples of considerations that can be relevant in the valuation process include:
- How severe were your injuries?
- How long will it take to recover?
- Will you make a full recovery or suffer a long-term disability?
- Did you lose income during your recovery?
- Will the injury impact your future earning potential?
- How did the injury change your lifestyle or quality of life?
- Have you struggled with emotional distress in the aftermath of the accident?
- Did you contribute to the accident in any way?
- What types of evidence can you offer to the insurance company to prove fault?
If your family is struggling with the aftermath of an injury, you may have legal options. Contact our law firm today to learn more about how we can help you hold the person responsible accountable for all of your losses.
What Kinds of Damages Are Available to Victims of Truck Accidents in Friendswood?
There are two types of compensatory damages. Under Texas personal injury laws, victims can seek full compensation for economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages reimburse you for all past and future financial costs, including:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Lost future earning potential
- Nursing care
- Property damage
- Out-of-pocket costs
Your non-economic damages award might provide compensation for:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Physical disfigurement and scarring
- Chronic pain
- Reduced quality of life
- Loss of consortium
Insurance companies often make it difficult for accident victims to recover fair compensation. Fortunately, our Friendswood truck accident attorneys have decades of experience protecting injured clients from insurance scare tactics and manipulation. Give us a quick call to learn more about this area of law today.
How Can the Shared Fault Rules in Texas Impact My Right to Financial Compensation?
As the victim, you should expect the insurance company to shift at least some of the blame to you. For every bit of fault they can shift to you, they can reduce your compensation.
Texas follows modified comparative negligence rules. You can recover compensation if your percentage of fault is less than 51%. However, your recovery will be reduced in proportion to your percentage of fault.
Once your percentage of fault reaches 51%, however, you’re barred from seeking compensation for your injuries.
We’ll Fight to Recover Compensation for All of Your Trucking Accident Injuries
Truck wrecks can cause life-changing injuries. At The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd, we can help you fight to recover full compensation for all of your injuries.
We often represent accident victims who have sustained:
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Nerve injuries
- Soft tissue damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
Truck accidents often leave victims struggling with mental health disorders, such as depression, anxiety, and PTSD. If you were injured, it’s never too early to reach out for legal advice. Contact our legal team for a free case review today.
What Causes Most Accidents Involving Semi-Trucks in Friendswood, Texas?
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and other agencies have developed detailed regulations designed to make the trucking industry safer. Unfortunately, drivers and truck companies don’t always follow the rules. That can make accidents much more likely.
Some of the most common causes of truck accidents in Texas include:
- Fatigued truck drivers and violating FMCSA hours-of-service rules
- Distracted driving
- Failure to yield the right-of-way
- Vehicle malfunctions and failure to maintain the truck
- Aggressive driving
- Dangerous turns
- Weaving between lanes and passing too closely
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Drunk driving
- Prescription drug use
- Hazardous road conditions
- Defective vehicle parts
- Worn tires
- Inexperienced truck drivers
- Overloaded cargo
- Failure to secure the tractor and trailer
- Loss of control of the vehicle
When you hire The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd to handle your legal representation, we’ll engage an entire team to find out what caused your accident. With that information, we’ll be able to demand fair compensation from all responsible parties.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Truck Accident in Texas?
Negligence is a failure to exercise reasonable caution under the circumstances.
To prove negligence, you must show that:
- Someone owed you a legal duty of care
- They breached that duty
- The breach caused an accident
- You suffered damages
To establish these elements, our lawyers will search for evidence such as:
- The vehicle’s black box recording device, which can provide important information about conditions at the time of the accident
- Police and accident reports
- Traffic citations
- The truck driver’s hours-of-services log
- The trucking company’s vehicle maintenance records
- Information about the truck cargo
- The truck driver’s commercial driver’s license and safety record
- FMCSA drug and alcohol testing results
- Statements from eyewitnesses
- Video surveillance footage
- Expert witnesses who can offer insight into the crash
After a truck accident, most truck companies begin to investigate immediately. These in-depth investigations can take time and energy. While you recover, our lawyers will conduct our own investigation.
Who is Financially Responsible for Covering My Costs?
One added complication in truck crash cases is that someone other than the at-fault truck driver might be responsible for your damages.
Examples of the parties who may be responsible include:
- The truck driver
- Mechanics and maintenance companies
- The trucking company
- Companies responsible for the truck’s cargo
- A company hired to inspect a fleet of trucks
- Third-party motorists
- Manufacturers of defective parts
Truck drivers can be employees or independent contractors. If the commercial vehicle driver is an employee, the truck company can be held liable for the driver’s negligence. This is a legal concept known as “vicarious liability.”
What Time Limits Apply in Texas Personal Injury Cases?
In nearly all personal injury cases, victims have two years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury lawsuit. After two years pass, you can no longer pursue compensation from the liable parties.
Arrange a Free Consultation With an Experienced Friendswood Truck Accident Lawyer Today
Have you sustained serious injuries in a truck accident? An experienced Friendswood truck accident attorney at The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd can help you fight for compensation. You can get started today by contacting us for a free initial consultation.
Friendswood, TX Emergency Rooms
- HCA Houston ER 24/7 – 225 E Parkwood Dr, Friendswood, TX 77546
- Memorial Hermann-GoHealth Urgent Care – 1505 Winding Way Dr #112, Friendswood, TX 77546
- CareNow Urgent Care – Friendswood – 1729 S Friendswood Dr, Friendswood, TX 77546
Friendswood, TX Drug Stores
- Walgreens Pharmacy- 104 E Parkwood Dr, Friendswood, TX 77546
- Edgewood Pharmacy – 186 S Friendswood Dr, Friendswood, TX 77546
- H-E-B! Plus Pharmacy – 701 W Parkwood Ave, Friendswood, TX 77546
- Kroger Pharmacy – 3135 FM 528 Rd, Friendswood, TX 77546
*Disclaimer — we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website.