Are you or a family member struggling with unnecessary medical care or a worsened condition because your doctor made a mistake? Medical negligence is a serious problem. An experienced Friendswood medical malpractice lawyer at The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd can help you fight to recover compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and your pain and suffering.
Our lawyers have over 58 years of experience practicing law in Friendswood, TX. We’ve been working hard to protect injured clients like you since 2000–and we’re ready to fight for fair compensation.
How The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Can Help if You Were Harmed Due to Medical Negligence in Friendswood, TX
As a patient, you have the right to expect your doctor to do everything possible to improve your health, not make it worse or create new problems. If your doctor provided substandard care, you have the right to seek compensation.
A Friendswood personal injury lawyer at The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd can handle all of the legal issues while you focus on recovering. Our team includes lawyers who have been recognized as “Top 100” Super Lawyers nine times. Our founding attorney is also Double Board Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
Retaining our legal services means you’ll have an advocate to:
- Hire respected medical experts and make sure all procedural requirements are satisfied
- Gather evidence and review your medical records to prove your doctor made a medical error
- Determine who is liable for your damages
- Calculate the value of your injury claim
- Handle all negotiations and communications with the insurance companies
- File a lawsuit on your behalf and take your case to court if necessary
It’s important to hire a lawyer with experience in injury law, rather than criminal defense or unrelated specialties. Our Friendswood personal injury attorneys are here to provide the quality legal representation you deserve. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help.
Statistics on Medical Malpractice
You’ve probably heard about how common medical malpractice has become. One widely-cited study states that medical malpractice is now the third-leading cause of death in the United States. Put into more concrete terms, some research has found that medical negligence causes about 251,000 deaths in the U.S. every year.
Medical malpractice in Texas is unfortunately common. In fact, between 1990 and 2020, insurance companies paid out over $7 billion to settle medical malpractice lawsuits across the State of Texas.
What Is Medical Malpractice?
Doctors and other healthcare providers spend years in training before they can treat patients on their own. That education and training are supposed to prevent harmful mistakes. Unfortunately, medical professionals can and do make mistakes.
At the same time, not every medical error counts as malpractice–even if the error harms a patient.
As a patient, you only have the right to sue for damages if your doctor deviated from the accepted standard of care. In other words, you can file a lawsuit only if the doctor failed to provide the level of care that a reasonable medical professional would have offered under the circumstances.
What Is My Friendswood Medical Malpractice Case Worth?
Medical malpractice cases are some of the most complicated types of personal injury cases. Putting a dollar value on your injuries can be incredibly difficult.
Your lawyer will evaluate all of the unique aspects of the damage caused by the mistake. They’ll also have to understand the complex medical issues that are relevant in these cases.
Your case value will ultimately depend upon:
- The nature of the harm you have suffered due to the medical error
- The nature of the medical provider’s mistake
- How the damage will impact your quality of life and earnings
- The cost of your medical treatment
- Whether you’ll make a full recovery or suffer permanent damage
- The types of emotional distress you have suffered
- Your age and life expectancy at the time of the mistake
Medical malpractice insurance companies have unlimited resources to challenge your claim. They’ll go to great lengths to downplay the mistake and the harm you have suffered. To learn more about how our lawyers can help you fight back, call for a free case evaluation today.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Victims of Medical Negligence in Texas?
Examples of your compensatory damages may include:
- Medical expenses incurred because of the mistake
- Future medical costs
- Lost wages
- Lost future earning potential
- Nursing care, in-home assistance, and other special needs
- Reduced life expectancy
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Severe depression
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of consortium and other damages for wrongful death
If your case is successful, you can recover the full amount of any economic damages you have suffered. There is a $250,000 cap on the amount of non-economic damages you can recover from any single defendant. In cases with multiple defendants, the cap on non-economic damages is $500,000 total. The value of your punitive damages is also capped by Texas law.
The maximum amount of punitive damages you can recover is the greater of:
- Twice the amount of economic damages plus the amount of non-economic damages awarded by a jury (up to $750,000), or
Our lawyers in Friendswood are here to help you fight for every dollar you deserve. To learn more about how we can help you establish the level of damages you have suffered, call for a free case review today.
Why Do Most Medical Errors Occur in Friendswood, TX?
Medical errors happen for many different reasons. Often, they occur because doctors and health care professionals are overworked and exhausted. That doesn’t make these life-changing mistakes acceptable.
Some of the most common causes of medical errors include:
- Failure to order the appropriate diagnostic tests
- Failure to take the patient’s full medical history
- Misinterpreting lab results
- Failure to recognize a patient’s symptoms
- Failure to properly monitor a patient
- Physician burnout
- Physician bias
- Charting errors
- Failure to communicate
- Understaffed medical facilities
- Overtreatment or undertreatment
- Defective medical equipment
- Inexperienced healthcare providers
- Unsanitary conditions
- Mistaken patient identities
- Failure to refer a patient to a specialist
- Failure to provide proper post-treatment instructions
Do you suspect you were a victim of medical negligence? Contact our Friendswood medical malpractice attorneys today. We’ll do everything we can to help you find out what happened.
We Handle All Types of Medical Malpractice Cases in Friendswood
At The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd, we handle all types of medical malpractice claims, including those involving:
- Surgical errors, including wrong-site surgery
- Prescription drug errors
- Hospital negligence
- Emergency room errors
- Anesthesia errors
- Hospital-acquired infections
- Failure to diagnose cancer and other diseases
- Nursing negligence
- Pharmaceutical errors
- Radiology errors
- Birth injuries
All medical providers have a legal duty to provide competent care. If you didn’t receive the care you should have, our lawyers are here to help prove it. Just give us a call to learn more about your legal rights today.
How Do I Prove I Was a Victim of Medical Malpractice?
Medical negligence isn’t always easy to prove. As a general rule, negligence means that someone failed to exercise the level of care that a reasonable person would have used under the circumstances.
In medical malpractice cases, however, the healthcare provider’s acts are compared to what a reasonable healthcare provider would have done under the circumstances. How a reasonable healthcare provider would have acted is known as the “medical standard of care.”
The medical standard of care will depend on:
- The type of medical condition or injury involved
- Your age, life expectancy, and overall health at the time you received the medical care
- The medical professional’s level of training and expertise
- Geographic location
In Texas, victims must offer testimony about the standard of care from a medical expert. Without the expert’s opinion, you’ll be prohibited from proceeding with your case.
At The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd, our lawyers have relationships with respected experts in the medical community. With their help, we’ll be well-prepared to help you fight for the fair compensation you deserve.
How Long Do I Have To File a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit in Texas?
The statute of limitations in medical malpractice cases is two years. Under Texas law, you must file a lawsuit within two years of the date you discover your injury.
However, you cannot sue for damages more than ten years after the date the medical error occurred. This “statute of repose” is meant to ensure that all medical malpractice lawsuits are filed within ten years of the doctor’s mistake.
Schedule a Free Initial Consultation With Our Friendswood Medical Malpractice Lawyers
Medical errors can have life-changing consequences. If you or a loved one were a victim, contact our Friendswood medical malpractice attorneys today. At The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd, your initial consultation is always free of charge.
Friendswood, TX Emergency Rooms
- HCA Houston ER 24/7 – 225 E Parkwood Dr, Friendswood, TX 77546
- Memorial Hermann-GoHealth Urgent Care – 1505 Winding Way Dr #112, Friendswood, TX 77546
- CareNow Urgent Care – Friendswood – 1729 S Friendswood Dr, Friendswood, TX 77546
*Disclaimer — we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website.