Were you or a family member injured while working on a construction site in Friendswood, TX? You may have multiple options for recovering fair compensation. Workers’ compensation and personal injury laws can be complex, so it’s important to speak with an experienced Friendswood construction accident lawyer.
At The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Personal Injury Lawyers, we can help you fight for compensation to cover medical bills, lost wages, and more. We have over 58 years of experience fighting for injured clients in situations similar to yours.
How The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Construction Accident in Friendswood
The construction industry is one of the most dangerous in the nation. Each day, construction workers put their health and safety on the line when they enter the workplace. If you were injured while performing your duties, you deserve to be compensated.
An experienced Friendswood personal injury attorney can help you get every dollar you deserve.
At The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Personal Injury Lawyers, our lawyers have been listed among the top 100 Super Lawyers in the state of Texas. Our team is led by a lawyer who is double-board certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization–an accomplishment that few lawyers have achieved.
When we build your case, you can count on us to:
- Identify all avenues for recovering compensation
- Determine the cause of your accident
- Gather evidence to establish liability
- Handle all paperwork and documentation
- Defend you if your right to workers’ comp is challenged
- Negotiate with the other parties and insurance company for a fair settlement
Would you like to have an experienced Friendswood personal injury attorney review your case? Call for a free consultation and learn more about legal representation today.
How Common Are Construction Accidents in Texas?
According to Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) data, private employers in the construction industry reported about 169,200 non-fatal workplace injuries across the United States in 2021. Unfortunately, at least 951 construction workers were killed on the job across the country in 2021.
In the state of Texas, 180 construction workers were killed on the job in 2021. Because a total of 533 fatal workplace injuries were reported statewide, about 33.8% of all fatal workplace accidents in Texas occurred in the construction industry that year.
We Handle All Types of Construction Injury Cases
While construction accidents are common, remember that no two construction accidents are exactly the same. You deserve an attorney who understands the unique aspects of your specific accident type.
At The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Personal Injury Lawyers, we handle all types of construction accident cases in Friendswood, including those involving:
- Scaffolding accidents
- Scaffolding and building collapse
- Slip and fall accidents
- Falls from scaffolding, roofs, and ladders
- Accidents involving forklifts, cranes, and heavy machinery
- Nail gun accidents
- Electric shock
- Fires and explosions
- Excavation accidents
- Trenching accidents
- Welding accidents
- Exposure to toxic chemicals
- Trucking and other motor vehicle accidents
If you or a loved one were injured, don’t hesitate to reach out for legal advice today. Our skilled team will do everything we can to help you recover the fair compensation you deserve.
What is My Friendswood Construction Accident Case Worth?
Many variables can influence your case value, including:
- The severity of your injuries
- Whether the accident causes a permanent or long-term disability
- How you go about recovering compensation–through workers’ compensation or by filing a personal injury lawsuit
- Your average wages prior to the accident
- The length of your recovery period
- The cost of your medical care
- Whether you can work in any limited capacity during recovery
Workplace injury cases in Texas are different from your typical car accident case. Unlike in other states, not all Texas employers carry workers’ compensation insurance. Your legal rights often depend on your employer’s choice.
If your employer is a non-subscribing employer, you have the right to sue for damages. If your employer does carry workers’ comp, you’re limited to workers’ compensation benefits unless someone other than your employer was responsible for your accident.
How Much Is My Workers’ Compensation Accident Claim Worth?
In Texas, you can recover workers’ compensation benefits that cover:
- Your reasonable and necessary medical expenses
- Temporary income replacement benefits (TIBs) if you lose all or part of your income for at least seven days
- Impairment benefits, if your earning capacity is reduced and you’ve recovered to the extent possible
- Supplemental income benefits after you’ve exhausted available impairment benefits
- Lifetime income benefits (LIBs) if you’re never able to return to work
- Death benefits for survivors of fatal construction accidents
Your weekly compensation check is also subject to a statewide cap of $1,112 if your injury occurred in 2023.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Accident Victims in Friendswood, Texas?
If you’re entitled to file a personal injury lawsuit, you can seek compensation for your non-economic damages in addition to your economic damages.
Examples of the types of compensation you may be entitled to receive include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning potential
- Physical therapy
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Diminished quality of life
- Emotional distress
- Physical disfigurement and scarring
- Loss of consortium
Do you have questions about the types of damages you’re entitled to pursue? Call our lawyers in Friendswood and schedule a free case review today.
Our Friendswood Construction Accident Attorneys Will Fight to Recover Compensation for All of Your Injuries
Our lawyers at The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Personal Injury Lawyers represent clients who have suffered all types of injuries, including:
- Broken bones
- Whiplash injuries
- Soft tissue damage
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Nerve damage
- Back injuries
- Repetitive stress injuries
- Lung damage and other internal injuries
- Amputations and loss of limbs, hands, or feet
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
If you were injured on the job, it’s important to seek medical attention right away. You should also notify your employer as quickly as possible to protect your right to compensation.
How Do Most Construction Accidents Occur in Friendswood, Texas?
Both state and federal safety regulations govern the construction industry. That’s because one simple mistake on a construction site can prove to be catastrophic.
Some of the most common causes of construction site accidents include:
- Lack of fall protection
- Improperly installed scaffolding
- Defective work tools
- Failure to provide proper safety equipment
- Untrained or unsupervised employees
- Communication failures
- Debris and other trip hazards
- Failure to maintain work equipment in a safe condition
- Ignoring Texas state and OSHA safety regulations
- Exposure to toxic substances
- Dangerous property conditions
- Negligent security and workplace violence
Determining the cause of your workplace injuries is especially important. Once we identify the cause, we can identify the responsible party and explain your rights under Texas law.
Do Injury Victims Have to Prove Negligence to Recover Damages After a Construction Accident in Texas?
Your burden of proof will depend on whether you can file a personal injury lawsuit for damages outside of the workers’ comp system.
Injured workers in Texas can receive workers’ compensation if the following things are true:
- The injury was work-related
- You were an employee at the time of the injury
- Your employer subscribes to workers’ compensation insurance
In personal injury cases, you’ll typically have to prove that someone else’s negligence caused your injury.
- Someone owed you a legal duty of care
- They breached that duty
- The breach of duty caused your accident
- You were injured and suffered damages
Keep in mind that you can’t sue your employer for negligence if they have workers’ compensation insurance. However, you can sue negligent third parties.
Negligent third parties who are often liable in construction accident cases include:
- Negligent drivers in a car accident
- Property owners who do not maintain their premises in a safe condition
- Manufacturers of defective work tools
- General contractors, suppliers, or vendors
Our lawyers will help you determine who and what caused your injuries. Call our law firm in Friendswood today to learn more about your legal options.
How Long Do I Have to Take Legal Action After a Construction Accident in Texas?
If you’re able to file a claim for workers’ compensation, it’s important to notify your supervisor about the accident within 30 days. You have one year to file a formal workers’ compensation claim.
The statute of limitations in personal injury cases is two years. You have two years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury lawsuit.
Regardless of how you seek compensation, you lose your right to receive compensation if you miss the deadline.
Contact a Friendswood Construction Accident Lawyer for a Free Initial Consultation
If you were injured at work, you shouldn’t have to deal with the consequences alone. A Friendswood construction accident attorney at The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Personal Injury Lawyers can help. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation to learn more.
Our personal injury law firm in Friendswood, TX, also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyer in Friendswood, TX
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Friendswood, TX
- Brain Injury Attorney in Friendswood, TX
- Bus Accident Attorneys in Friendswood, TX
- Car Accident Lawyer in Friendswood, TX
- Catastrophic Injury Lawyers in Friendswood, TX
- Child Injury Attorney in Friendswood, TX
- Dog Bite Lawyer in Friendswood, TX
- Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Friendswood, TX
- Motorcycle Accident Attorney in Friendswood, TX
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in lawyers in Friendswood, TX
- Premises Liability Attorneys in Friendswood, TX
- Product Liability Lawyer in Friendswood, TX
- Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers in Friendswood, TX
- Truck Accident Attorney in Friendswood, TX
- Uber Accident Attorneys in Friendswood, TX
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyer in Friendswood, TX
- Workplace Accident Lawyers in Friendswood, TX
- Wrongful Death Attorney in Friendswood, TX