Did you or a family member suffer dog bite injuries in Friendswood, TX? The dog’s owner may owe you compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and the pain and trauma you have experienced. An experienced Friendswood dog bite lawyer at The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Personal Injury Lawyers can help you fight for the compensation you deserve.
Our lawyers have over 58 years of combined experience fighting to recover fair compensation for injured clients in Southeast Texas. We’ve recovered over $500 million for our efforts–and counting in cases such as Friendswood child injuries, pedestrian accidents, Friendswood medical malpractice, catastrophic injuries, and more.
How The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help if You Were Bitten by a Dog in Friendswood, TX
If you were bitten by a dog, you already know the consequences can be severe. The trauma of the event is often only the beginning. You deserve to be fairly compensated by the dog’s owner. To get that fair compensation, it’s important to have an experienced Friendswood personal injury lawyer by your side.
At The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Personal Injury Lawyers, our Friendswood personal injury attorneys have been recognized for our successful legal representation time and time again. Our AV-rated attorneys have been recognized by Super Lawyers and the National Trial Lawyers. We’ve also earned a place on the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
When you hire our lawyers, you’ll gain an advocate who will:
- Help you navigate the legal system throughout your case
- Gather evidence to prove your case
- Hire experts who can testify about more complex elements of your claim
- Help you understand your options under Texas dog bite laws
- Document your damages and calculate your case value
- Negotiate with the insurance companies and responsible parties on your behalf
Insurance companies already know how to build a strong defense. You deserve a strong lawyer who can stand up and protect you. To learn more about how we can help, call for a free initial consultation today.
Statistics on Dog Bite Injuries in Texas
According to CDC statistics, about 4.5 million people in the U.S. are bitten by dogs each year. About 81% of those dog bites are minor. However, about 800,000 dog bite victims suffer injuries that are serious enough to require medical attention every single year.
Unfortunately, Texas is one of the worst states in the United States when it comes to the number of serious dog bite injuries reported each year. Because most homeowners’ and renters’ insurance policies cover dog bite injuries, insurance companies keep track of how much they pay to victims.
In Texas, insurance companies paid 1,017 dog bite victims about $67 million in damages.
What is My Friendswood Dog Bite Injury Case Worth?
Dog bites and animal attacks impact people differently. The value of your personal injury claim will depend primarily on the types of injuries you have experienced.
Some additional factors that will be relevant to your case include:
- The cost of your medical treatment
- The identity of the victim
- The physical pain and emotional trauma the victim has suffered
- The types of medical attention and rehabilitation you may require in the future
- Whether the dog bite caused any permanent impairment, disfigurement, or scarring
- How the dog attack will impact the victim’s future
The amount of insurance coverage that is available can also impact your case value. If your damages exceed the available insurance coverage, it may be necessary to file a personal injury lawsuit to recover additional damages from the dog’s owner.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Victims of Dog Bites and Animal Attacks in Friendswood, Texas?
If your dog bite injury case is successful, your settlement or verdict should include compensation for both economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages compensate victims for financial losses and costs, such as:
- Current medical bills
- Future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Diminished future earning potential
- Reconstructive surgeries
- Psychological counseling and therapy
Non-economic damages compensate for non-financial losses, including:
- Pain and suffering
- PTSD and fear
- Emotional distress
- Depression or anxiety
- Diminished quality of life
- Physical disfigurement and scarring
- Loss of consortium
- Damages for wrongful death
If you were bitten by a dog or attacked by an animal, contact our Friendswood Area dog bite attorneys for a free case evaluation today. We’ll help you demand fair compensation for all of your losses–both financial and non-financial.
Can I Recover Damages If I’m Being Blamed for Provoking a Dog in Texas?
The most common defense in dog bite injury cases is provocation. In the state of Texas, provocation is only a defense in cases where the victim must prove negligence to recover compensation. If the dog owner already knew the dog was aggressive or vicious, provocation is not a good defense.
Texas follows modified comparative negligence laws. If shared fault is an issue, you can only recover compensation if you were less than 51% liable for your own injuries. However, even if you were less than 51% responsible, your damages award will be reduced in proportion to your share of fault.
Insurance companies often use these shared fault laws to scare victims into accepting lowball settlements. If you’re being blamed for provoking a dog attack, contact our lawyers at The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Personal Injury Lawyers today. We’ll do everything we can to protect you.
Our Lawyers in Friendswood Will Fight to Recover Compensation for All of Your Dog Bite Injuries
Dog bites can cause serious injuries, especially when the victim is smaller in size. That means children are unfortunately most likely to suffer serious injuries when a dog attacks.
Some of the most common dog bite injuries that our lawyers see include:
- Cuts, lacerations, and puncture wounds
- Broken bones
- Nerve damage
- Soft tissue damage
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Organ damage
- Crushing injuries
- Infections, which can lead to additional medical complications
Do not hesitate to call our team for legal advice if you were injured by someone else’s dog. We’ll do everything we can to help you get the full and fair compensation your family deserves.
What Are the Dog Bite Laws in Texas?
Most states have specific laws to deal with dog bite injuries. Some states have a “one bite rule” that gives each dog a free pass when it comes to their first bite. Other states follow strict liability laws, meaning that dog owners are liable regardless of whether they know the dog has vicious or aggressive tendencies.
Texas does not have a law governing dog bite injuries. However, the Texas Supreme Court has ruled on the issue.
Texas follows rules that are similar to rules in other states, meaning that:
- Dog owners are liable when a dog that is known to be dangerous injures someone
- Dog owners can be liable for damages if the victim can prove the dog was dangerous or aggressive, even if they have never bitten before
When a dog has bitten someone in the past, a strict liability law applies. The dog owner is held liable for the victim’s damages because the law presumes that the dog owner knew the dog was dangerous.
Do I Have to Prove Negligence to Recover Damages for Dog Bite Injuries?
Unless the dog has bitten someone in the past, you will probably have to prove negligence to recover damages.
Proving negligence in dog bite injury cases means establishing the following:
- The dog’s owner either knew or reasonably should have known that the dog was dangerous
- The dog’s owner failed to take reasonable precautions to keep others safe
- Because of that failure to take precautions, the dog was able to bite another person
- As the victim, you suffered damages because of the dog attack
There are many different ways to prove negligence if you were bitten by a dog.
Our lawyers can help you work to prove negligence by locating evidence about the dog owner:
- Allowing the dog to roam the neighborhood freely
- Ignoring local leash laws
- Failing to keep the animal secured
- Training the animal to engage in violent or vicious behaviors
Every personal injury case is different, even if they involve similar situations. Our lawyers in Friendswood Area will interview neighbors, locate information about past safety complaints, and gather other types of evidence to prove your case. Just call our law firm today to schedule your free case review.
How Long Do I Have to File a Personal Injury Lawsuit After a Dog Bite in Texas?
The statute of limitations in most Texas personal injury cases is two years. If you don’t file a personal injury lawsuit within two years of the date the dog bit you, you lose your right to sue for compensation.
Contact a Friendswood Dog Bite Lawyer for a Free Case Review
Do you have questions about your legal rights after suffering dog bite injuries in Friendswood Area? Contact our Friendswood dog bite lawyers at The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Personal Injury Lawyers for a free consultation today. We have the knowledge you need to determine whether you’re entitled to financial compensation.
Visit Our Personal Injury Law Office In Friendswood, TX
The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Personal Injury Lawyers
312 S. Friendswood Dr.
Friendswood, TX 77546
Phone: (281) 992-8633
Monday: 8:00 AM- 5:00 PM
Tuesday: 8:00 AM- 5:00 PM
Wednesday: 8:00 AM- 5:00 PM
Thursday: 8:00 AM- 5:00 PM
Friday: 8:00 AM- 5:00 PM
Get Directions in Google Maps
Our personal injury law firm in Friendswood, TX, also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyer in Friendswood, TX
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Friendswood, TX
- Brain Injury Attorney in Friendswood, TX
- Bus Accident Attorneys in Friendswood, TX
- Car Accident Lawyer in Friendswood, TX
- Catastrophic Injury Lawyers in Friendswood, TX
- Child Injury Attorney in Friendswood, TX
- Construction Accident Attorneys in Friendswood, TX
- Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Friendswood, TX
- Motorcycle Accident Attorney in Friendswood, TX
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in lawyers in Friendswood, TX
- Premises Liability Attorneys in Friendswood, TX
- Product Liability Lawyer in Friendswood, TX
- Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers in Friendswood, TX
- Truck Accident Attorney in Friendswood, TX
- Uber Accident Attorneys in Friendswood, TX
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyer in Friendswood, TX
- Workplace Accident Lawyers in Friendswood, TX
- Wrongful Death Attorney in Friendswood, TX