Have you been victimized because of an assault in Friendswood, TX? If so, you might have a civil claim against your attacker and other parties. Our Friendswood assault injury lawyers help you review your legal options for pursuing a personal injury claim.
Our Friendswood personal injury lawyers at The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Personal Injury Lawyers have over 58 years of combined legal experience. Our extensive resources and legal knowledge enable us to handle the most complicated personal injury cases, including assault injury claims.
Since opening our law firm in 2000, our attorneys have won more than $500 million on our clients’ behalf, earning us membership in the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum. Our successful track record of winning top awards and settlements for our clients has resulted in high ratings with numerous legal organizations. These include the National Board of Trial Advocacy, the American College of Trial Lawyers, and Super Lawyers.
If you or a family member is an assault victim in Friendswood, Texas, contact the Law Firm of Alton C. Todd for a free consultation. Our Friendswood assault injury attorneys are here for you. We want to help you get justice for the terrible wrong done to you. Contact us today at (281) 992-8633.
How Our Friendswood Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help You With an Assault Injury Claim in Texas
An assault is an intentional tort. The attacker intended to cause you harm when they committed the assault. The offender may be charged with a crime separate from a civil action seeking compensation for damages.
It is essential to understand your rights after sustaining an assault injury. At the Law Firm of Alton C. Todd, our Friendswood assault injury attorneys fight to get justice for you for the wrongful acts committed by another party. In addition to recovering compensation for your injuries, we help you gain peace of mind by holding the at-fault person accountable.
When you battle the offender, third parties, and insurance companies after an assault injury, you need aggressive, experienced, and fierce personal injury attorneys on your side. Attorney Alton C. Todd is dual certified through The Texas Board of Legal Specialization in personal injury law and civil trial law.
When you hire our top-rated Friendswood personal injury lawyers, you can trust that we do everything possible for the success of your case, including:
- Investigate the circumstances of the assault to gather and preserve evidence
- Monitor the criminal investigation by law enforcement agencies and the prosecutor’s office
- Identify third parties who could share liability for your assault injury
- Work with your physicians, financial professionals, medical specialists, counselors, and other expert witnesses to determine the full extent of your injuries and damages
- Calculate how much your assault injury is worth based on your damages
- Aggressively negotiate with the insurance company for a fair settlement
- File a personal injury claim in civil court and pursue the case at trial, if necessary
You should not bear the financial burden caused by an assault injury. Furthermore, you deserve to be compensated for the emotional and physical damages caused by the assault. At the Law Firm of Alton C. Todd, we fight to recover a settlement or jury award that compensates you for all damages.
Call the Law Firm of Alton C. Todd to schedule a free case evaluation with an experienced Friendswood assault injury lawyer in Friendswood, TX, to learn more. We accept personal injury cases for a contingency fee. Therefore, it does not cost any money upfront for you to hire a Friendswood personal injury lawyer.
Overview of Assault Laws in Friendswood, TX
Assault is a crime. If you assault another person, you can be arrested on criminal charges and punished by the criminal courts.
Texas Penal Code §22.01 defines the crime of assault as:
- Recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally causing bodily injury to someone, including that person’s spouse
- Knowingly or intentionally threatening a person with impending bodily injury, including that person’s spouse
- Knowingly or intentionally causing physical contact with someone when the offender knows or should have reasonably believed that the other person would regard the contact as provocative or offensive
Assault charges are misdemeanor offenses in many cases. However, specific circumstances can result in a felony assault charge. A conviction for criminal assault includes fines, jail time, and other criminal penalties.
At the Law Firm of Alton C. Todd, Our Friendswood Assault Injury Lawyers Handle All Types of Assault Cases
Assault injuries can arise from numerous situations.
Our Friendswood assault injury attorneys handle all types of assault injury claims arising from:
- Sexual assault
- Police brutality
- Domestic violence
- Bar fights
- Altercations at clubs, sports events, entertainment complexes, and other venues
- Universities, colleges, and schools
- Gyms and shopping complexes
Your attacker may be a stranger or someone you know. It does not matter. You can file an assault injury claim in civil court seeking compensation for damages.
Examples of Third Parties Who Could Be Liable for an Assault Injury in Friendswood, TX
In addition to the person who attacked you, a third party could also be liable for your injuries and damages. Third-party claims arise when a party breaches their duty of care to you, and that breach contributes to the cause of the assault.
Employers, businesses, non-profit organizations, government entities, individuals, property owners, and numerous other parties could be responsible for your damages resulting from an assault injury. For example, an employer or business owner could be liable for continuing to employ someone they know to be dangerous. A property owner could be responsible under premises liability laws for failing to provide adequate security or lighting.
Our Friendswood assault injury attorneys perform thorough investigations to identify third parties. We pursue claims for negligence and other wrongdoing that contributed to the attack that caused your injuries.
What Damages Can I Receive for an Assault Injury Claim in Friendswood, TX?
Damages are the remedy offered by the law in a personal injury case. Courts cannot undo the harm you sustained. They cannot go back in time to prevent the assault.
The only remedy is to force the attacker and other at-fault parties to be financially liable for damages. Therefore, an assault injury claim includes compensatory damages for economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages in an assault injury claim compensate you for the monetary losses you incurred or will incur because of the attack.
Economic damages include:
- Past and future medical bills and expenses
- The cost of in-home nursing and/or personal care
- Rehabilitative therapies, including physical and occupational therapy
- Past and future lost wages
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Property damage
- Diminished earning capacity
- Counseling and mental health therapy
- Reconstructive surgery
Monetary damages are one element of compensatory damages. The other element is non-economic damages.
These damages compensate you for the pain and suffering you endured because of the assault and could include:
- Physical pain
- Diminished quality of life
- Mental anguish and trauma
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Emotional distress
- Impairments and disabilities
- Psychological conditions, including PTSD, chronic anxiety, severe depression, etc.
A jury may also award punitive damages for an intentional tort. Punitive damages do not compensate you for your losses, although you receive the money awarded for punitive damages. Instead, these damages are a way for the jurors to “punish” a defendant for outrageous conduct.
The value of an assault injury claim depends on the factors in your case, including injuries, financial losses, and the duration of your recovery are factors. The strength of evidence proving your case and the parties involved could also impact how much money you receive.
At the Law Firm of Alton C. Todd, our Friendswood assault injury lawyers carefully analyze each factor that impacts your case. We work to maximize the amount of money you receive for your claim by building a solid case proving the attacker and applicable third parties are liable for your damages.
What Is the Statute of Limitations for Assault Injury Claims in Friendswood, TX?
The Texas statute of limitations sets deadlines for filing personal injury lawsuits. Courts dismiss cases that are filed after the deadline expires. The judge does not need to consider whether you have a valid claim before dismissing the lawsuit.
The statute of limitations for most personal injury claims in Texas is two years from the date of injury, including assault injury claims. However, the parties in your case, exceptions to the law, and other factors could change the filing deadline in your case.
Therefore, do not wait to talk with a lawyer. Contact the Law Firm of Alton C. Todd to determine the deadline for filing your assault injury claim.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Friendswood Assault Injury Lawyers
Assault injuries can have life-altering consequences in Friendswood, TX. You deserve to be compensated for your damages and injuries. At The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Personal Injury Lawyers , our legal team pursues all claims against all parties responsible for the harm you suffered.
Contact or call us today at (281) 992-8633 for a free case review from an experienced Friendswood assault injury attorney. We are here to provide trusted legal advice, guidance, and support as you navigate a personal injury claim for an assault injury.
Visit Our Personal Injury Law Office In Friendswood, TX
The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd Personal Injury Lawyers
312 S. Friendswood Dr.
Friendswood, TX 77546
Phone: (281) 992-8633
Monday: 8:00 AM- 5:00 PM
Tuesday: 8:00 AM- 5:00 PM
Wednesday: 8:00 AM- 5:00 PM
Thursday: 8:00 AM- 5:00 PM
Friday: 8:00 AM- 5:00 PM
Get Directions in Google Maps
Our personal injury law firm in Friendswood, TX, also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Friendswood, TX
- Brain Injury Attorney in Friendswood, TX
- Bus Accident Attorneys in Friendswood, TX
- Car Accident Lawyer in Friendswood, TX
- Catastrophic Injury Lawyers in Friendswood, TX
- Child Injury Attorney in Friendswood, TX
- Construction Accident Attorneys in Friendswood, TX
- Dog Bite Lawyer in Friendswood, TX
- Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Friendswood, TX
- Motorcycle Accident Attorney in Friendswood, TX
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in lawyers in Friendswood, TX
- Premises Liability Attorneys in Friendswood, TX
- Product Liability Lawyer in Friendswood, TX
- Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers in Friendswood, TX
- Truck Accident Attorney in Friendswood, TX
- Uber Accident Attorneys in Friendswood, TX
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyer in Friendswood, TX
- Workplace Accident Lawyers in Friendswood, TX
- Wrongful Death Attorney in Friendswood, TX